[ale] dual booting RedHat7.2 and Win2k

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 19 17:32:07 EST 2002

Jeff Rose wrote:

> Ok so I gave this a try and it didn't work.  I got Win2k installed fine.
> I booted Linux into rescue mode and tried to reinstall grub.  Windows
> reformatted /boot to FAT16.  I used mke2fs to change the file system
> back and reinstalled grub.  Grub sees /boot as ext2fs but fdisk is still
> seeing it as FAT16.  Grub still doesnt work.  I am able to boot into the
> gui from a floppy but with errors that /dev/hda1 (/boot) cant be
> mounted.  I assume that mount is trying to mount it as ext2fs but sees
> it as FAT16.   Does anyone have any idea what is going on?  Any and all
> help is appreciated.

You need to use fdisk to change it to ext2, then make the file system...

> Jeff
>
> JGlass at WesleyanCollege.edu wrote:
>
>> You should be able to boot off your rescue disk, then run "grub-install
>> /dev/hda".  I've only used grub a few times, so someone please correct
>> me if
>> I'm wrong.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jonathan Glass

>>> 2. install win2k on you second hdd. it will overlay MBR on the master
>>> hdd
>>> 3. boot redhat from floppy. add win2k to your lilo or grub conf.
>>> activate

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html