[ale] OT: DoD security clearance

James S. Cochrane cochrane at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 18 23:22:07 EST 2002

You would only be able to get that through an employer who works with the
Department of Defense, or through being in the military in a position
requiring one (mine is long since expired).  Info that you will need
will involve all of the addresses at which you've lived for at least ten
years (I'd have everything since high school, at minimum, they may want
to go back to age 15 or 16, I got mine at 18), details of any traffic
tickets you've gotten, especially any which involved a fine of $100 or
more, details of any time you may have been arrested, including the final
disposition of any charges, etc...  They will have you
fingerprinted, and the background sheet and fingerprints will be sent to
the FBI for investigation (or to an agency within the DoD to do the
investigation).  Depending on the level of clearance, they may also
want the names and addresses of neighbors and friends, as well as
spouse/ex-spouse/etc.
And, of course, a signed release allowing them to contact the authorities
in any jurisdiction where you've lived, including mental health
institutions, and the friends/neighbors/significant-others listed.

James