[ale] Linux Capabilities (?)

Dan Singhal dsinghal at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 18 15:45:20 EST 2002

Hey,

I'm trying to compile bind 9.2 on my system, and the documentation indicates
(and the compile backs it up) that something changed ~2.2.14 that made
"linux capabilities" no longer work properly ...

Nearly as I can tell from the docs, this has /something/ to do with running
threaded bind as non-root but letting it still play with the reserved
sockets ... or something ...

So, my question is, basically, 2-fold:  (1) What precisely is "linux
capabilities"?  I've heard the name, but all I'm coming up with is "it's
like ACLs for Processes instead of files" which seems like it's probably a
little ... inaccurate at the least :/  (2) Are they "broken" in 2.4?  or is
bind-9.2 trying to do something that maybe used to be a workaround to a
broken setup that isn't broken anymore?  Or maybe they were just changed and
aren't broken either before or after but no longer work the same and bind
needs to play with the new one?

thanks!

--dan singhal