[ale] What is safe to delete?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Jan 18 11:07:04 EST 2002

du -k --depth=1 is your friend.

If the / partition is filling up, you need to check:
/tmp  is it full of old stuff that needs to be deleted?
/var/[log spool/mail] if the logfiles are not being rotated or there is
an ongoing error filling up syslog, that is a frequent problem.
/var/spool/mail may also be filling up with notices to root about events
logwatch is seeing, portsentry is seeing, etc.

You might also have been attacked and some black hat SOB is using your
box as a warez ftp site.