[ale] regex question

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Thu Jan 17 23:57:33 EST 2002

I apparently wasn't thinking that day, my apologies. But try this:

in your substitution press "CTRL-V W" that is, CTRL-V followed by the
character you want to replace. I actually tried it this time ;) and it
works.

Again, sorry about posting the wrong solution, I suppose my answer was in
haste.

Ben

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Allan Neal wrote:

> This doesn't work.  No offence but if I type :s/ and then CTRL-W for the ^W
> it just backspaces.  No ^W shows up.  I know there is a way to do this as I
> was shown once how to convert a dos text file over deleting the ^M's at the
> end of each line in VI.
>
> Allan
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 02:04:17PM -0500, Benjamin Dixon wrote:
> >
> > You can press CTRL and then the control key you want to create. In the
> > vi s/// you will see the control character appear. So for ^M, you would
> > press CTRL-M and you should see it in the substitution.
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Allan Neal wrote:
> >
> > > I'm receiving daily quotes via a mailing list and some
> > > characters are messed
> > > up on occation.  I get some control chars like ^R for
> > > a ' and ^W for a , and
> > > space and a ^V for a -.  How, in vi, do you search for
> > > a control char to
> > > replace it in a :s/... statement?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Allan
> > >

> > > =====
> > > Allan K. Neal
> > > allankneal at yahoo.com
> > > http://home.earthlink.net/~akneal/

> > > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
> > >

> > Today's Random Quote--------------------------------------
> >
> >  Latin is a language, As dead as can be. First it killed the
> > Romans, And now it's killing me.

>  __________________________________________________________________
> /\                                                                 \
> \_| If you work for a living, you can appreciate what a Republican |
>   | president can do for you and your money. If you grub money off |
>   |  of people for a living, you can appreciate what a Democratic  |
>   |       president can do for you and other people's money.       |
>
> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

 Dig a well before you are thirsty.
   Chinese Proverb