[ale] something is wrong with my local sendmail setup

Allan K. Neal allankneal at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 23:04:41 EST 2002

Thanks for your help.  I think I got it working.

Allan
On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 06:28:39PM -0500, David Brooks wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 16:21, Allan Neal wrote:
> > I am having trouble sending to the list.  My mail gets
> > there sometimes and
> > other times it does not.  I have earthlink as my ISP
> > but use my yahoo address
> > primarily.  Mutt sets my From header to
> > allankneal at yahoo.com and then sendmail
> > is masquerading as earthlink.net.  Here is my
> > sendmail.mc file.
> >

> Hmm, It could have something to do with earthlink using what appears to
> be a round-robin DNS structure for 'smtp.earthlink.net'.  Do a 'dig
> smtp.earthlink.net' and see how many A records they have listed for that
> name.   Do a 'dig -x' on the dotted-quad IP and see that they dont
> resolve back to smtp.earthlink.net.
>
> If the ALE mailing list looks at Received-From and not From:, that could
> be causing an issue.  I believe there's an option you cant send the ALE
> list daemon to allow you to post from a different address than you
> receive at, that may help you out.
>
> > FEATURE(accept_unresolvable_domains)
> > ## FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o
> > /etc/mail/genericstable.db')dnl
> >

> Also note that FEATURE(accept_unresolvable_domains) opens you up to
> receiving spam from the particularly clueless spam hosts.  Also, note
> that commenting out the FEATURE(genericstable) isn't going to have an
> effect.  m4 is a strings-based parser (thusly why you need a "dnl" on
> the end of everything), so if it finds a keyword (in this case,
> FEATURE), even if it's preceeded by a #, it's going to parse it into the
> cf file you generate.
>
> You might also want to try FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl to masquerade
> the envelope as well as the header addresses.
>
> > LOCAL_CONFIG
> > ## Custom configurations below (will be preserved)
> > define(`RELAY_HOST', smtp:smtp.earthlink.net)dnl
>
> you might want to enclose the second argument in `'.  (note the
> backtick)
>
> > define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `earthlink.net')dnl
>
> you may not need this set, since you're masquerading as earthlink.net
> anyways.
>
> Just some thoughts.
>
> -dave
>

> --
> david a. brooks
> * systems administrator
> * stayonline.net
> * voice: .. 770/933-0600 x217
> * email: .. db at stayonline.net
> * :wq!

\_| If you work for a living, you can appreciate what a Republican |
  | president can do for you and your money. If you grub money off |
  |  of people for a living, you can appreciate what a Democratic  |
  |       president can do for you and other people's money.       |