[ale] HOWTO tell is sound problem is hdw or software ?

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Thu Jan 17 18:24:20 EST 2002

Greetings !

I've got a new SBLive! soundcard running under Debian-2.4.6 with a
Creative Inspire 5.1 [5300] speaker system that apparently won't output
from the soundcard's Digital channel, though the Line Output front/rear
channels perform well.

I wonder if I'm setting it up correctly. I have 4 of the five small
speakers playing from the Line Output channels of the sound card and am
attempting to play the other small speaker [which is plugged into the
"center" output speaker channel of the speaker console and into the
Digital channel of the sound card, and am getting no sound from it.

Incidentally, the bass console which is the 6th speaker unit is
satisfactory also.

How can I tell if the problem is the soundcard or software ? The driver
is emu10k1. Also, I did swap the center speaker out with another of the
small speakers and it worked, so it's not the small speaker itself
[currently connected to the "center" output].

So....trying to be concise, I guess it's either software or the card's
got a bad digital output [or I've somehow erred in setting it up].

Appreciatively,

Courtney