[ale] [OT] ?Thoughts? on "CS degree Necessary?"

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Thu Jan 17 17:38:46 EST 2002

Just to contribute a tidbit into the discussion.

I have advanced degrees in Chemical Engineering.  I
am doing software engineering in Linux-based
distributed autonomous wireless network embedded
systems.  It ain't no IP!  Totally ad-hoc.  We are
building our own network protocol stack.  I have
backed off from coding and am doing the boring stuff:
code reviews, testing/debugging, build/release, ...

You don't need a college education to be successful.
But it does provide the extra push, the initial
impression of credibility to get through the first
door.  And it teaches problem solving and other
life-long survival skills in the workplace.

Bao