[ale] CS Degree necessary?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 17 07:51:12 EST 2002

Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Michael, I went to Florida State for CS, but ended up with a degree in MIS
> because I'm not very good at higher mathematics (go figure).  I've got a
> great job and this might be blasphemous to some, but I make more than the
> guy with the CS degree in my office.

But, one example does not define the norm.  I'd suspect that if you took
a poll, on average, the CS is going to demand more then the MIS.

You've reiterated a point I made earlier, in that if you're not into the
Math, the CS is going to be a bear for you.  In 8 years it took me to
get my BS, I'd say 80% of the folks that got out of the CS program were
because of the Math.

> P.S.
> I'm 25 years old and according to salary.com I make in the middle-upper
> percentile of salaries for my job description (unix admin) adjusted for
> geometery of course!  [or is that geography!?]

Hmmm, just checked this out myself, and I'm off the chart (10% over the
75% ile), in the $$$ direction.  I don't know if I'm terribly overpaid
or if this thing is just plain wrong.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html