[ale] CS Degree necessary?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 17 07:42:02 EST 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:

> A degree makes the difference between a "job" and  "career". Without the
> degree, you _will_ get passed up on promotions even if you are the best
> coder in company.

Jogged some more cobwebs with that one.  My brother's title is
Electrical Engineer, although he does not have a degree.  He did 7 years
in the Navy working on flight simulators.  He now works for a company
designing and testing the electrical systems in simulators.  He can code
circles around anyone.  Yet, he's been told more than once that the lack
of the parchment is holding him back.  He went back to school for a
while, but with three kids (1 college, 1 high school, 1 middle) and the
job (he travels to Europe alot) it was too much.

So, although all companies are not the same, there's at least two
examples of the necessity of the paper.

But, the original question was, which one, right?  Back when I started
working for AT&T, the basic premise was, get a college degree and you'll
get promoted.  Didn't matter what it was in.  On down the road that
changed to, get a business degree.  Further, the hot item was a
technical degree.  So, things change.  I started out going to school
part time when it was 'get a degree.'  Fortunately for me (pure luck) I
went for the CS.  When I finished, I was promoted, while others stayed
in place with their liberal arts degrees.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html