[ale] CS Degree necessary?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Wed Jan 16 22:41:25 EST 2002

Michael, I went to Florida State for CS, but ended up with a degree in MIS
because I'm not very good at higher mathematics (go figure).  I've got a
great job and this might be blasphemous to some, but I make more than the
guy with the CS degree in my office.  I highly respect what the CS majors
had to go through to get thier degrees - I just couldn't hack it.
....buuuuut, since I'm more experienced (I've been hacking since High
School) I equate that to my overall higher salary.  I tend to think that
salaries in general are a logarithmic curve.  When you're not educated it's
harder to get to the apex, and when you're too educated you're actually
overvalued and it's harder to find work (ever talk to someone with multiple
degree's and a phD or master's in CS that _wasn't_ an instructor or
professor? - neither have I).  The point of all this is that (IMHO) it's
important to _have_ a degree; but ultimately your experience will pave the
way of your career.  The degree will get you into interviews that you could
not normally get and as a result I think you'll do much better than with
just experience alone and no degree.  Although, to be practical I don't know
how far a degree in "Paperclip Art" would get you.  You have to be
realistic.

That's just my take on things,
-CB

P.S.
I'm 25 years old and according to salary.com I make in the middle-upper
percentile of salaries for my job description (unix admin) adjusted for
geometery of course!  [or is that geography!?]
:)