[ale] CS Degree necessary?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 16 22:01:33 EST 2002

You are correct it's been discussed extensively.  I'll tell you how it
is from my perspective.  Background, BS in CS.  25 years at AT&T.  I
spent about 5 years on a technical review board for promotions.  At
AT&T, promotions are based on your rating, education and job
history/experience.  There is very specific educational requirements
and/or job experience for the technical salary plan.  The bottom line
is, job experience can be substituted for education, but it's not a one
for one translation. (1year of work != 1 year of ed.)  The way it reads
is "Candidate must have a Masters degree in a relevant technical field
or comparable job experience."  Relevant technical field is very defined
  as well.  So, having the educational credentials is pretty straight
forward, either you do or you don't.  It get's real gray when trying to
determine a comparable job experience.

I'd say if you're doing the 4 year thing, go for the CS unless you don't
have the Math aptitude.  It seems that it was always the Math the had
people dropping from Comp. Sci. to Info. Sys.

Also, a while back, when I was doing technical hiring interviews.  The
Comp. Sci. parchment always carried more weight than the Info Sys. or
Comp. Info Sys. degrees.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html