[ale] new linux box

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 16 06:54:42 EST 2002

David Corbin wrote:

> I'm in support of Mr. Hubbs here.  My NT desktop system still sits there
> with an open slot, waiting for a Pentium 266 Mhz that will never be
> seen. It sure seemed like a good idea the time.....but it wasn't

That would be a Socket-7 mobo, yes? You might look around
for a pair of matched K6s or something. You'd have to
underclock them, probably, but seems like it would be
worth a try. You can get new K6-500s for < $40, and
I just checked ebay and found a pair of K6-300s for
$5 each.

No doubt someone else will know why this is a terrible
idea...

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"