[ale] iptables-save

Mike Millson mgm at atsga.com
Wed Jan 16 12:54:27 EST 2002

The script in the iptables howto works if I run it by hand. No problem it
does NAT for the other computers on network. The problem is getting the
iptables set up automatically on boot. If I put the rules in
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall and run them from the end of rc.local, no problem - it
works. However, if I try to do it like the iptables how says, by using
iptables-save to save the rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables, disable my
rc.firewall script on boot, then NAT does not work.

It seems that iptables-save doesn't save the correct rules. Anyone else
experience this. Any reason why I shouldn't just blast away the
/etc/sysconfig/iptables file and just let rc.local brute force run the
script to populate the rules?

Thank you,
Mike Millson
AableTech Solutions, Inc.