[ale] new linux box

Michael Kachline kachline at bass.compgen.com
Tue Jan 15 19:21:50 EST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> i wanna go... now also... how is a dual processor? is
> it utilized with linux? win 98? is it worth having? is
> a dual 1 ghz better than one 2ghz ? ... i know a bit

	Stephen,

To begin, yes, Linux does support multi-CPUs.

I would say that the uni-processor vs multi-processor decision should be
based on how you intend on using the machine. One myth to remove is that
two CPUs will not nessacerily make your machine seem "faster". Stated
differently, Mozilla may come up a wee bit quicker with a second CPU, but,
if you bought that second CPU at premium prices expecting twice the speed,
you'll be dissapointed. However, if you are the type who likes to do a lot
of things at the same time (for instance, compile a kernel while
mogrifying digital camera pictures), then a multi-CPU setup is more likely
useful in your future. Even still, I would recommend that you purchase a
dual-CPU board with a single CPU and wait out the CPU prices until you
purchase the second CPU. The trick here is being patient and buying a
second (now considered slow) CPU when everyone else is buying a new,
faster computer.

If you are a gamer, or like to keep up with the latest and greatest of
window managers (in linux), then, I would personally recommend sticking
with a fast, uniprocessor box. Get the fastest thing you can with a lot of
ram, a good video card and fast hard drives.

If, however, you want to have this machine last you a while, buy a server
class dual CPU motherboard, decent (though not outrageous) amount of ram,
decent video card, and put the rest of your money in good disks and
 a good monitor. When prices drop on your CPU and ram (and they
will), then start upgrading. As new things come along which your machine
did not have built in (like firewire, in my case), then you will probably
have the option of purchasing a separate PCI controller card for such
things if you want it.

On the windows front, I do not believe that '98 supports multi-CPU boxes,
though Win 2k and, I believe XP do support both CPUs. Whether the second
CPU makes a difference in those environments, I'll leave to others,
though can personally attest that once up, Win 2k runs fair  on a dual
PPro 200 x 98 MB ram.

							- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer