[ale] Acceptance of License discussion

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Tue Jan 15 15:37:00 EST 2002

Tommie M. Jones wrote:

> Is anyone keeping up with the license discussion at politechbot.
> (http://www.politechbot.com)  They are discussing an article on freshmeat
> about giving search rights to software companies when a user accepts a
> license.  It is a good discussion and a lot of lawyers are giving their
> opinions.
>
> At times like this I wish there was a marketing budget associated with OS.
> I keep imagining a great TV commercial that looks like a Scene from Waco,
> Texas.

After all this time, I would like to think that Red Hat, at least, would
  be in a position to mount at least one TV or radio commercial.  I
realize that a wrinkle between Red Hat doing a commercial and Apple or
MS doing a commercial is that Red Hat <> Linux and therefore they cannot
really take the same tack as those guys.  IBM's TV ads have done a good
job of getting the "L word" slightly imprinted.  Unfortunately, I never
saw the one in the Avery Brooks series where he's talking about Linus
and his doing "something revolutionary:  he gives [Linux] away, on the
Internet."  If I had seen a spot like that years ago back when I was
pursuing NT-based solutions as the way to unseat mainframe and
minicomputer hegemony, it certainly would have given me pause.

Even earlier than that, I worked up some really interesting graphs that
showed how license costs for Banyan VINES scaled far more advantageously
than those of Novell Netware.  It was just after that that I first
learned of Linux and first tried to get a machine up on Slackware after
a protracted "floppy party;" imagine how it influenced me to learn that
in Linux lay yet another alternative whose costs essentially scaled flat
(a characteristic which, to me, is more important than being free {as in
beer}).

- Jeff