[ale] a simple backup script

Ken Nagorski kenn at refriedgeek.com
Tue Jan 15 09:09:47 EST 2002

Hi there,

I have a simple backup script. It just copies some config files to a backup
dir in /home and then tars up /home to a tape device. There isn't that much
so it just rewinds the device and does it over every night. Whatever... It's
simple but effective backup.

I do have a question. tar seems to be sending root and email of everyhting
that it backs up. I did notice that I inadvertently left the 'v' option in
tar. Is some default operation of tar to send the output to the owner of the
process if there is no terminal as in this case it runs form cron? I mean,
it isn't a problem, it is kinda cool but I was just wondering.

Thanks
Ken

But I don't want to go among mad people,
Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat:
we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat,
or you wouldn't have come here.