[ale] FW: Linux boxes fixed

Eichler, Paula J. pja0 at cdc.gov
Tue Jan 15 08:59:19 EST 2002

<SPAN
class=186565613-15012002>Thought you all would like to know what seems to be
helping my kernel panic yesterday.  Thanks to everyone that responded
...pj
<SPAN
class=186565613-15012002>
<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Pham Viet Cuong
[mailto:pvc1 at hsph.edu.vn]Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 10:04
PMTo: Paula Allen (Allen, Paula ); Jackson, Joe; Micheal
LinnanSubject: Linux boxes fixed
Dear all,

The problems with two
linux boxes were fixed, we found out that Compaq workstation has the problem
with scsi cable, there is small cut on the cable, and it created the problems of
hard drive not work stable, we have replace cable and the problem was
fixed.
The Proliant 800 has
more serious problems, this server have 3x 9Gb HDD, it uses RAID to mount into
one logical HDD, but one of them have some bad sectors.  We fixed
the server as following:
- we use Redhat
installation CD to boot the server and use Linux Rescue mod to boot, the server
can boot and it mount our system into a folder (mnt/sysimage), we check and
found out that everything is still there, nothing lost. But the system is not
mount fs partition. We used fsck and e2fsck to scan all partitions,
/dev/ida/c0d0p3, ....p6-9. The partition c0d0p3 have a fatal error with many
sectors, and we have try to clean them manually.
- after clean hdd we
reboot server and reinstall server with "upgrade mode"<FONT
color=#000080>, at the end we create the
boot disk of that server. After installation we boot the server by FDD and at
the boot: prompt we type the "linux root=/dev/ida/c0d0p9" and the server can
boot normally, we remount the partitions by changing fstab and the problem was
fixed. The mailserver now can work but it could not boot by HDD, we still
need diskette to boot.
<SPAN
class=871141002-15012002>
I think the problem with
proliant is now solved 50% we still need to make it totally fix, I think I will
setup mailservice on one linux box (HP box, it is now
running apache) to keep the mail running and try to reinstall the
proliant 800 (I will reformat the HDD and install everything new). And after
install I will move mailservice back to Pro. 800.
<FONT
color=#000080>
Do you have any other
solutions for us,