[ale] Home Wiring (was Re: cat5)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 15 07:20:02 EST 2002

rob hoppe wrote:

> You are welcome to call to discuss wiring.  1236 are the used pairs     12 equals
> trans +- white-orange is 1 and orange-white is 2.  36 equals rec +- white-green
> is 3 and green-white is 6
>
> white-orange, orange-white, white-green, blue-white, white-blue, green-white,
> white-brown, brown-white

Interesting.  The wire I purchased and the documentation I've found are
as follows:

orange/white, orange, green/white, blue, blue/white, green, brown/white,
brown

 From my days in telephone QA, orange/white described wire that was
'orange on white,' that is, the wire is mostly white with orange
stripes.  white/orange would be wire that is mostly orange with white
stripes on it.

I guess my point is, you've indicated that all wires are two colored,
whereas the docs I have and the wire I've purchased have solid colors.
Also, it would appear that we've got wires swapped in the pairs,
although I don't believe that would matter.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html