[ale] Home Wiring (was Re: cat5)

rob hoppe hoppe at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 14 23:12:40 EST 2002

Michael Kachline wrote:

> > How about this:
> > Punch down all CAT5 to a 110 patch panel.
> > Each port has a patch cable to reach the hub/switch.
> >
> > Hook up phone service to a 66 block, by punching down the lines w/o cutting
> > them. Cut one end off a patch cable, and wire the white/blue,blue pairs to
> > the tip and ring from the phone company.  Now, when you want to switch from
> > network to telephone, unplug the patch cable to the hub at the panel, then
> > plug in the phone patch cable.
>
>         Jonathan,
>
>         I believe that what you have suggested here is what I am looking
> for. However, as I am green on the art of networking "nuts and bolts",
> could you suggest a site which I could visit to learn more? In particular,
> assuming that I go with the solution which you provided, I would need to
> learn:
>
> *) What is a 66 block, 110 patch panel? (Will these have enough ports for
> my house? Are they what I want? How many ports on each of them? etc.)

These are the blocks on the wall used to patch cables.  They are always in 50
pairs due to the cable that was attached.  66 is phone and 110 is data, but 110
can be used for phone.

> *) What all would I need to purchase? (ie, patch panels, racks to mount
> the panels on, crimping tools, aux power sources, etc.)

Smaller versions of the 110 and 66 can be found.  Call someone to discuss this
one.  Or submit a house layout.

> * Is there a "proper" or "better" way to splice the cat-5 into these
> panels? If so, what is that method? Is there a good source of
> documentation for doing so? Does such documentation normally come with the
> panel being purchased?

Yes for proper way. They are usually color coded as in my last message.

> * Do certain panels work only with certain faceplates? If so/not, why
> (not)?

Yes for correct wiring of the connections,  see previous messages.

--
_/  Rob Hoppe  (Atlanta)