[ale] can't reach sites using DSL

David Corbin dcorbin at imperitek.com
Mon Jan 14 20:21:20 EST 2002

You are not alone (entirely).  I just installed DSL (Bellsouth), and
while some sites work fine, others (espn.com, msn.com (no kvetching-- I
don't use it), weather,com, towerrecords.com) don't  come up
*completely*.  I get a partial page, but it's obvious that some of the
image links are not getting downloaded.  If I switch back to my
cable-modem (drop the ethernet, start dhcp), I continue to have
problems.  But, if I reboot, and bring up the cable-modem without bring
up DSL, I have no problem whatsoever with these sites.

Any suggestions are welcome.

On my cable-modem, 2 of the 4 sights you sight "fail" with traceroute,
but they all succeed when I browse them via the web they work.

I think that more and more companies are blocking ICMP packets, I assume
as a method of defeating DOS attacks, but I think it sucks.  Makes it
very hard to "debug" networking problems.