[ale] my gui or your gui?

phrostie pfrostie at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 19:58:15 EST 2002

xfree86 is a very lean Xserver.  there is no fluff.
the fluff that bogs down most people is the choice of window manager.
if you're running gnome or kde, then yes you have fluff.
but this is not the fault of XFree86.

now if you're in need of a lean windowmanager then there is a long list.
some of my favorites are XFce, Afterstep, and Fvwm.  others that seem to be
popular are Blackbox, Twm, and Windowmaker.  once again there are many others.

my first linux box was a 386/25 with 8 megs of ram(16 meg of swap) and a
2 meg S3 card.  later i uped it to 12megs of ram.  this was with fvwm/xfree86.

i hope you do not need to run at lower requirements than that.

btw, i understand the download problem.  I live in the sticks and have a very
slow dialup connection.  i just made the switch to debian from mandrake.
eventhough i had a full set of CDs i had to bring most of the libs up todate
just ot install the software i wanted.  my wife had concluded that "apt-get"
was the code name for a girlfriend. :-)

--
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS,
http://www.freelists.org/list/cad-linux