[ale] cat 5

Adrin haswes at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 14 16:04:59 EST 2002

First here is a drawing
http://www.siriuscomputers.com/rj45.htm

I was actually looking for the standard online though.
I think maybe some one is confused.

On a 10 BaseT wire connection you are using only 2 twisted pairs,( 4 wires).
The other four are not used. I think there is also a number of twist per a
inch standard that is different than the standard for the 100 BaseT. The
twist is there to stop crossover like someone said before.  You can actually
induce a voltage into another wire and cause false signals. That would
explain why a ribbon cable did work like you wanted/expected. The 100BaseT
uses 4 twisted pairs, ( all eight wires).  So you don't have room to run
anything else.  If it was as simple as tipping into the wires to share a
wiring route I wouldn't see a problem as long as the systems are not active
at the same time. Chances are though that the cards have terminating
resistors and these will mess with you if the signal is going by them.
There will be a dip or drop in voltage were you tapped into the wire.

So I guess if you are running a 10 BaseT network and don't plan on going to
a 100 BaseT and you wire it right you could do it.  I don't think 10 BaseT
cards are around that much anymore though.
Also I wonder if there is a fall safe short design on the cards.  Probably
nothing just a collision, I was think of wrong type of voltage.

If you try it I would lay the cable out on the floor before putting it in
the wall. :)  If you need a hand have a friend over for some Beers or
something.. LOL

Adrin