[ale] can't reach sites using DSL

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jan 14 15:45:41 EST 2002

This happens when a major fiber bundle gets whacked by a backhoe and the
routing hasn't caught up yet.

It seems that the longer a fiber section is up and running with no
problem, the longer an alternative route takes to appear if the fiber
goes down. Has Cisco added a neural-net "feature" to their routers that
rate a connection based on uptime and traffic flow? It sort of seems
like a good idea for rapidly sending traffic on it's way when things are
good. But unless it retains a "memory" of alternates for _when_ things
break, it would take longer to repair routing tables.