[ale] Home Wiring (was Re: cat5)

Michael Kachline kachline at bass.compgen.com
Mon Jan 14 14:59:32 EST 2002

> This works, but you still have the problem of plugging in your phone on the
> other end (which happens to be RJ-11).
>
> Since it is apparent that you are buying the cable to begin with, why not
> buy 6 pair twisted instead of 4 pair twisted (CAT-5) and dual jack face
> plates (RJ-11 and RJ-45).  This way you can have 2 phone lines AND the net
> connection at all locations without having to do patch cable swapping.

	Leonard,

	Doh! I asked too late. The CAT-5 is already installed in the walls
with two loose ends. Regardless though, most rooms have three CAT-5's run
to a box, allowing for (hopefully) either a 2 phone, 1 net, or 1 phone 2
net type of configuration. The ability to swap between these two
configurations in an easy manner is what I am looking for.

						- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer

 Intec Telecom Systems