[ale] cat5

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 14 14:33:53 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 14:28, Joe Bayes wrote:

> I don't think we ever ran 2 ethernets off the same cable, but back at
> the place I used to work, we regularly ran ethernet and appletalk over
> one cat5 cable. It usually worked.

oh yeah, if yo8 don't want to bother to do the splitting of the cat5
into 2 sets of 2 pair yourself then you can buy the adapters at various
players. One that I have had good success with is Cyberguys
(http://www.cyberguys.com). Bot a splitter for each end of the cable.

What I would personally love to do is get a stack of those dual 100Mbit
nic cards and use some of these split4 cables coupled with the channel
bonded module in linux to get a 200Mb ethernet card for clustering
applications :)

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)  Darkness has a hunger thats
insatiable.
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/      Lightness has a call thats hard