[ale] Home Wiring (was Re: cat5)

JGlass at WesleyanCollege.edu JGlass at WesleyanCollege.edu
Mon Jan 14 13:55:25 EST 2002

How about this:
Punch down all CAT5 to a 110 patch panel.
Each port has a patch cable to reach the hub/switch.

Hook up phone service to a 66 block, by punching down the lines w/o cutting
them. Cut one end off a patch cable, and wire the white/blue,blue pairs to
the tip and ring from the phone company.  Now, when you want to switch from
network to telephone, unplug the patch cable to the hub at the panel, then
plug in the phone patch cable.

This is how we connected our older Appletalk network to our new CAT 5
wiring...surely it will work for telephony as well...???

Anyone have any thoughts?

Jonathan Glass

-----Original Message-----
From: Leonard Thornton [mailto:Leonard at Intelis-inc.net]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 1:39 PM
To: Michael Kachline; ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] Home Wiring (was Re: cat5)

The magic will not be in the patch panel, but in the cable you use to
connect from the panel and the wall plates to your telephone.  The wiring
from the wall plate to the patch panel is 8 conductors straight thru.  When
you get to the wall plug you have to convert RJ-45 to RJ-11 (8 pins to 4
pins).  At the patch panel end you have the same scenario going from RJ-45
to whatever you have your incoming lines punched down to (66 block?).

At 12:41 PM 1/14/2002 -0500, Michael Kachline wrote:

>         Guys,
>
>         Speaking of cat 5 in the home, does anyone have a cat 5 patch
>panel for your RJ-11 phones in the home? Currently, I am building a home
>and have all phone lines and net lines home run into my basement, all via
>their own dedicated cat5 cable. I have read that it is possible to plug a
>regular RJ-11 phone into a RJ-45 port and, given that the back-end wiring
>is right, have a working phone.
>         What I would like to do is wire the house with all RJ-45 ports,
>some connecting to the "data" switch, and others connecting to the phone,
>and have an easy setup downstairs for "converting" ports from phone to
>data without having to cut and strip wires.
>
>Does anyone know of a good patch panel which could be used for the
>telephone lines downstairs? Ie, I want to be able to simply re-plumb from
>the phone patch panel to the data switch in order to "convert" an RJ-45
>port from being a "phone" to a "data" port. I am currently looking at the
>various offerings from Pass and Seymour for doing this, though, it looks
>like ports are still hard wired into their respective patch panels.
>
>If anyone has any suggestions, could you please post also whereabouts I
>could find such items? If not, does anyone know of a local place for
>purchasing Cat 5 telephone patch panels?
>

>                                                 Thanks,
>                                                         - Mike
>  Michael Kachline
>  Systems Programmer
>
>  Intec Telecom Systems
be
>sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc.
5960 Crooked Creek Rd
Suite 30
Norcross, GA  30092

Office: 770.825.0032
Fax:            770.825.0028
Cellular:       404.583.5402
Pager:          888.785.9188
Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net
http://www.intelis-inc.com
http://www.intelis-inc.net

sent to listmaster at ale dot org.