[ale] cat5

JGlass at WesleyanCollege.edu JGlass at WesleyanCollege.edu
Mon Jan 14 11:40:23 EST 2002

Those wires and the twists are used to reduce cross-talk, giving a cleaner
signal and thus better performances  I understand it.  You could use the
extra pairs for other things ( I use them in certain hard to reach areas for
telephone lines.), but you increase the risk of signal degradation.

Jonathan Glass
RHCE, MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+
Network Engineer & Instructional Technology Coordinator
Wesleyan College: First for Women
(478) 477-1110

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph A Knapka [mailto:jknapka at earthlink.net]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 5:29 AM
To: Stephen Turner
Cc: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] cat5

Stephen Turner wrote:

> cat5 has 8 wires... why cant we use more of them as
> like simaltanious transfers of data? ?? could send
> much more info over it i think than we currently are......

It does seem a bit silly to waste half the wire in your
cable plant. I wonder why the standard didn't just specify
4-wire cable? The four wires that are already used
can apparently handle everything up to gigabit.

Of course, you could use those last 4 wires to run two
separate connections over a single cable, but you'd
have to buy or make splitters and adapters.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"

sent to listmaster at ale dot org.