[ale] Module handling at boot

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Fri Jan 11 22:01:54 EST 2002

Jpe -

Thanks for the help; module manipulation is something I've only touched
on to date.

The upshot of my findings is this:  when I boot up to the
MOSIX-install-modified kernel, what appears at the point where eth1
should be coming up is:

   Cannot open netlink socket:  address family not supported by protocol
   SIOCGIFFLAGS:  no such device
   failed to bring up eth1

lsmod shows the 8139too mdule present but under "Used by" it says "0
(unused)".  modprobe 8139too produced nothing.  I tried to remove the
module and re-install it (rmmod, insmod) and was able to get "1" under
"Used by" out of lsmod, but trying to bring up eth1 gives same "address
family not supported by protocol" result.

It looks like I started off with the wrong premise initially; I had said
that I skipped the Ethernet part of menuconfig and everything i saw up
to this point seemed to indicate otherwise, so I checked in
/usr/src/2.4.13/.config and sure enough, I have it there as a module.
This leads me to believe that I need to Google that error message and
see what the heck that's really supposed to mean.

- Jeff