[ale] Automounting partitions

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 11 18:31:54 EST 2002

> Greetings,
>
> What's the best way of mounting a partition automatically when I log in?

Stack a mount command in your .profile or .bashrc. Are you going to want
to unmount it at logoff?

Another route is using the automounter. Then the partition will be mounted
whenever you access the directory that the filesystem mounts to.

> If I mount it from /etc/fstab I don't have write access to it (as a regular
> user)  I've tried using user,rw and a couple other directives in fstab but it
> still doesn't let me write to the partition.  Thanks for any help.

Well this one needs more information. First off what type of filesystem is it?
If it's msdos, or vfat, which doesn't have an inbuilt file protection scheme,
then yo uhave to use the additional options of 'umask' and 'uid,gid'. Take
a look at the options in the man page of the mount command.

If it's a native Linux filesystem, when you need to take a look at the
ownership and permissions of the directories in the filesystem. the options
you have above simply allows for users to mount it and for the partition to
be read write. But it doesn't take care of the individual directory and file
permissions. There's a lot of places in your the partition of your home
direction that you do not have permission to write to.

BAJ