[ale] Module handling at boot

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Thu Jan 10 17:25:13 EST 2002

jeff hubbs wrote:

> If you have a module that needs to get loaded at boot time but you
> forgot to include it when you ran menuconfig prior to compiling a
> kernel, how do you fix it where it'll load at boot time?  In this case,
> it's the module for the NIC (RTL8139) and I assume (I haven't tried it)
> that if I booted it up and typed "insmod <module_name>" and then "ifup
> eth1" then my NIC would pop to life.  So I'm trying to make this result
> happen at boot time instead.
>
> - Jeff

The modules.conf way is right for what you are describing.....

If you actually needed it at BOOT (say, before your file system was mounted) then you either have to compile it into the kernel (the old timer's way), or create an INITial Ram Drive (initrd) that can load drivers at boot.

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith