[ale] Unable to boot up in run level 5

phrostie pfrostie at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 19:08:13 EST 2002

I'm no guru, but my understanding of run levels is that they are NOT set in
stone.  they allow you to boot into different configurations.  linuxconf and
other such utils are there only as aids.  after the kernel boots it reads
/etc/inittab and checks among other things the default run level.  most
people have either 3 or 5.  these are traditionally used for console or X
login, but this is only tradition.  go look at the contents of your
/etc/rc1.d, /etc/rc2.d, /etc/rc3, /etc/rc4.d, rc5.d, , , , , .
these are the processes that are started for each run level.

not sure? do a top and compare the results.  change runlevels and compare it
again.  feeling brave, move S99xdm from rc5.d to rc3.d and KABoom, run level
3 is a X login.  don't have a S99xdm, then as root try
	ln -s /etc/init.d/xdm /etc/rc5.d/S99xdm

there were linux runlevels long before linuxconf, gnome-linuxconf,
MS-linuxconf(just kiding), or any others.  in fact things were not nearly
this complicated until they started making linux "Userfriendly"

exit soapbox

--
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS,
http://www.freelists.org/list/cad-linux