[ale] Linksys 'routers', SNMP issues (fwd)

kschmidt at mindspring.com kschmidt at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 7 11:03:29 EST 2002

Go to net-snmp.sourceforge.net and download the Net-SNMP package. Actually, depending on which Linux distro you have, you might already have these tools installed. The tools you would use to query the router are snmpget and snmpwalk. Here's an example:

$ snmpwalk public router-host-name

If you want to receive traps, you need to run a trap daemon. Net-SNMP has a daemon called snmptrapd which is usually in /usr/loca/sbin.

<shameless_plug>If you want to know more about Net-SNMP and SNMP in general, you can get a copy of my book: http://www.ora.com/catalog/esnmp. It's written specifically for system and network administrators.</shameless_plug> :-)

-Kevin

John Mills <john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Chris -

How did you query the unit? What is you master agent and what tools did
you use? If I set my main platform as the snmptrap host that doesn't
sound like a bad idea, but I've had only a brush with SNMP and that used
prebuilt MsWin tools.

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Chris Ricker wrote:

> Since a lot of people on this list seem to think these sorts of toys are a
> good idea....

Regards -
 John Mills

sent to listmaster at ale dot org.