[ale] php/mysql install hell

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 6 15:19:22 EST 2002

I have a RedHat 7.2 distro. I'm trying to upgrade Apache/PHP/MySQL.
MySQL refuses to compile on my system. So, I installed the latest
version using rpm. So far, so good. But when you configure PHP for
compilation, it wants to know where MySQL is to compile in support. The
assumption is that all the pieces of MySQL are under one directory. But
RedHat, in its wisdom, scatters the pieces in different places. The
client programs are in /usr/bin. The headers are in /usr/include/mysql.
And the data files are in /var/lib/mysql. Given this, I see no way to
compile MySQL support into PHP. I have an installation now, but
phpinfo() indicates that PHP expects many things to be in /usr/local and
they aren't. So, if I run any PHP page that needs the database, it just
seg faults. Any ideas?