[ale] DNS problems

David Brooks db at stayonline.net
Fri Jan 4 12:23:20 EST 2002

Part of the problem appears to be that your nameserver is rather
unreachable.

13:13:18  db at flexo:(~)$ dig @63.168.35.79 ns1.jamfo.com

; <<>> DiG 9.1.0 <<>> @63.168.35.79 ns1.jamfo.com
;; global options:  printcmd

...That would be coming from AT&T.  Coming over SprintLink (which I'm
guessing is your upstream), I still can't query your server, however
SprintLink's cache servers report the correct IP address.  Something
tells me the DNS service on your server died, and your upstream's
servers (and maybe a few others) cached it, but nothing else had time
to.

I'm digging what I guess to be your DNS server as reported by
a.gtld-servers.net:

13:19:21  db at flexo:(~)$ dig @a.gtld-servers.net ns1.jamfo.com
[.. misc ..]
;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns1.jamfo.com.          172800  IN      A       63.168.35.79

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
jamfo.com.              172800  IN      NS      ns1.jamfo.com.
[.. misc ..]

I would check the DNS service on ns1.jamfo.com.  I can't query it.  See
if you can locally.  Also, not that this is causing your problem, but
register.com reports both ns1.and ns2.jamfo.com, yet there's only one
SOA record for your domain.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

--