[ale] PHP vs mod_php......

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Thu Jan 3 16:58:45 EST 2002

Hi all,

OK, I'm about to dive into a few things, and had some questions...

I have a Redhat 7.2 install right now.  It has Apache 1.3.22, PHP 4.06,
mod_perl, mod_ssl, and a bunch of other stuff installed already.

I need to have Apache with mod_php installed, but cannot find a Redhat RPM
for mod-php 4.06 anywhere.

Questions:

a) What is the difference between plain PHP, and mod_php?

b) Are there any advantages to using mod_php over plain PHP?

c) I currently have a web app (frontend to a PostgreSQL database) that will
only run with Apache+mod_php (according to the developer, who was unable or
unwilling to explain to me *why* it had to be mod_php).  Is there a specific
reason why this might be true?  Or might it be fairly simple to change our
app so that it runs using standard PHP?

d) Does anyone know where I can find an RPM for mod_php 4.06 for Redhat 7.2
(or can I just get a src RPM for Mandrake and rebuild for Redhat from it)?

e) Would I be better off updating to PHP 4.1.1?  Is there a mod_php for
4.1.1?

Tia for any responses/opinions...

Charles