[ale] what if ....

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Wed Jan 2 07:55:42 EST 2002

Boot into safe mode......remove any hardware that you do not have in the
new system.....re-boot and have your Win2k cd handy. You SHOULD be able to
get the system back up and running; however, be prepared for unexplainable
problems ie: lockups, BSOD ect. In my experience you would be better off to
re-install. Same goes with upgrades with Windows OSs. I just don't trust
them and would prefer to re-install. After saving all needed files of
course. Hey with Windows I try to re-install every 6 months
anyway...otherwise you get that nice sluggish system no matter what you do!

Hope this helps and sorry for all my delightful opinions.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/

                    Jeff Rose
                    <jojerose at minds       To:     ale at ale.org
                    pring.com>            cc:
                                          Subject:     [ale] what if ....
                    01/01/2002
                    08:41 PM

Hello All,
   I started using Linux about 6 months ago so bear with my simple
questions.   I recently got a new computer /*Woo Hoo*/ and loaded Red Hat
7.2.  I want to take the drive from the old computer and add it to the new.
It is dual booted with SuSE 7.1 and Win2k.  My question is... When I add
the drive will it be possible to boot into Win2k or will it freak out
because the hardware is different?  I want to keep the dual boot setup for
the non-Linux types in the house and I seem to have misplaced the Win2k
install disk.

Thanks for the hep

Jeff Rose