[ale] I cant get my modem im running linux for the first time

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Tue Jan 1 19:07:45 EST 2002

Please pardon the duplicate message...

>From: "DoG DoG" <dogdoodoo60 at hotmail.com>
>To: ale at ale.org
>Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:01:20 -0500
>
>I just got linux for christmas because i dont like Windows any more i got
>every thing to work but my modem i dont know much on linux and the manule
>dont really help and my family dont know much about computers but all my
>relatives live in another state and they know about computers im 13 and
>still learning alot about computers.

>Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 17:51:10 -0500
>
>Im adding on to my last message i have SuSE Linux 7.3 Personal
>and a Aopen 56k PM modem.

Hi...

It's very likely that you have a so-called "winmodem" but for
starters, let's see about getting that thing detected and/or
identified.  It would be a good idea for you to go to AOpen's
site & see about identifying it (http://www.aopen.com).

One thing that may help would be to set your computer's BIOS
setting for (something like) "PnP OS (y/n)?" to "no."  This
might also be stated as something like "PnP set by BIOS or OS"
- set it to BIOS.  The point is to have your BIOS do the PnP
"programming" & not the OS.  Letting the OS do the PnP
"programming" has caused me nothing but trouble over the years.
At least if you'll make that setting-change, it'll get things
on the road to detection & a start toward getting things working
for you.

I hate to bear bad news, but getting that modem to work with
anything other than Windows is likely to be rather dodgy.
There's other expertise with these things on this list who
will know a *lot* more about such modems than I, but the "short
version" might be that you should seriously consider replacing
that modem with one that is "self-contained," i.e. not a
winmodem & not a "controllerless" modem.

-kc