[ale] gdm questions (or where the hell is my login screen?!?)

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 14:32:08 EST 2002

Installed RH 7.2 and I'm friggin' frustrated.  I've
been up most of the night (recovering from a New Years
party at the same time, mind you) trying to figure
this out.

Gdm works probably 10% of the time.  Sometimes, I'll
start it up and get the login screen right off the
bat.  Most of the time, however, I get the black and
gray speckled X screen...nothing.  When it works, it
does so without any changes to settings
whatsoever...that's the most frustrating part.

Anyway, trying to do this on my local lan.  I've
attached a file with numerous files cat'ed
(hosts.allow, gdm.conf, etc.).  If someone could take
a look and offer their thoughts, I'd reaaaaally
appreciate it.

The gdm host is 172.16.2.4 and the gdm client is
172.16.2.6.

John