[ale] Location of Http directory

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Mon Feb 25 10:41:57 EST 2002

It varies between distros and versions.  What you might do is bring up the
root page in the browser of your choice, and determine the name of the
file containing the apache logo that appears on the default root page.
Having done that, you can log in as root and do this:

find / -name apache_logo.pnm -print 2>/dev/null

...substituting the name of the apache logo for apache_logo.pnm in the
formula above.  Find does a recursive sweep of the directories.  the /
indicates what directory you want to start from (in this case, the top),
the -name directive filters on what you are looking for by name of the
file, apache_logo.pnm is the name of that file (wildcards can be used, but
should be escaped or quoted, e.g. \*.gif or "*.gif" rather than *.gif)
-print is not really necessary, but I do it out of habit of using SYSV at
work, and the 2>/dev/null will keep you from seeing any error messages
(you will otherwise get a boatload of access denied messages).

Once you find the logo, you should be pretty close to where the root page
is located.  Poke around the directories in that vicinity, an dyou should
find it.

Good luck!

glasher at nycap.rr.com
You've been programmed by the Illuminati not to see the word "".