[ale] Linksys DSL router (BEFSR11) How to allow access in

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Sun Feb 24 20:38:17 EST 2002

George -

First, you need to decide what type of access you wish to allow from
outside. I allow only SSH inbound. These I have on the conventional port
22, and have set up my internet services, access control, etc., in my
Linux box. You probably want to test this with another computer from
behind the router.

Now there are two steps you need to do with the router.

First, you need to assign your system a static IP within your
LAN: 192.168.1.x where x is less than (IIRC) 127 for the Linksys. Now you
again want to make sure that your computer works properly from its static
LAN IP. This is because you can only do port forwarding to a known
IP.

Second, go to the router's 'Advanced' settings and pick 'Forwarding'. Now
fill in a row to forward port 22 (or whatever) traffic to the static IP
you assigned your Linux box. Save the configuration and you should be good
to go.

I think the Linksys allows you to select ten port ranges for transfer to
ten specified IPs. You also have the option of making one IP your 'DMZ'
which will get all the birds and fishes that come in the door (and aren't
named as forwarded to a specific IP).

Now that you know where to look, I expect you can find more detail in your
router's on-line manual.

--
 - John Mills