[ale] Postfix?

Allan Neal allankneal at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 14:36:42 EST 2002

I am looking at replacing sendmail with postfix on my machine at home.  The
reason is that I send mail on this system between accounts and need a full
MTA, but sendmail does some really annoying things when mail is send (queued)
when the ppp0 conntection is not up.  I get messages like these:

Feb 23 14:29:53 tashina sendmail[645]: OAA00600: to=akneal at earthlink.net,
ctladdr=allan (1000/1000), delay=00:00:19, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=smtp,
relay=smtp.earthlink.net., stat=Deferred: Network is unreachable

or

Feb 23 13:47:55 tashina sendmail[2263]: NAA02230: to=akneal at earthlink.net,
ctladdr=allan (1000/1000), delay=00:01:48, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=smtp,
relay=smtp.earthlink.net., stat=Deferred: Name server: smtp.earthlink.net.:
host name lookup failure

These messages persist even after I dial up and have a valid connection and
sendmail will not deliver the mail to smtp.earthlink.net

Will Postfix help me out on these, or does anyone have a recommended fix for
sendmail?
--
Allan Neal
allankneal at yahoo.com
"Artificial Intelligence is no match for human stupidity"