[ale] Mount point layouts

Greg runman at telocity.com
Thu Feb 21 09:06:08 EST 2002

Hello, George:

	Yes, I can assist.  I just finished my webserver.  The amount of space
depends on the size of the site, but with 60 GB I really don't think you
have anything to worry about.  Generally, you want plenty of space for the
site and for logs.  You basically could go with a generic install of your
distro of Linux I guess.  You might want to have plenty for /tmp if you plan
on doing plenty of work on it (for downloading tar files, for holding stuff
temporarily, etc...).  Unless you are going to host a massive site I would
not worry about it.  The thing about UNIX is it is variable and customizable
to one's heart's content.  There are no hard and fast rules and no one to
tell you how it has to be.  I would install your distro and when (or if) you
can pick the purpose of the machine, I would pick "webserver".  Of course,
it is hard to say anymore not knowing what other requirements exist.

	But if you still want hard and fast numbers then I will dig mine out and
send to you, though it's just a reflection of how I see my requirements.

	A good site for hardening a webserver is George Shaeffer's www.geodsoft.com
.  Even though he recommends OpenBSD, his stuff is still applicable to
Linux.

Greg Canter

 winmail.dat