[ale] Linux distribution

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Feb 20 21:57:51 EST 2002

Ah, slackware. I cut my Linux teeth on thee!
I consumed all bandwidth to download thy boot and net floppies.
I installed thy boot and net floppies and, lo, thou wert good.
Upon thy digital breast I laid my weary head and watched patiently as
the 9600 baud line blinked merrily. Eagerly I awaited the "download
complete" signal. Surely I must receive it for I hath slain the fatted
calf and paid homage to the digital gods of Uni and Versity.
Whence, lo' cross yon keyboard doth break the shimmering beacon of
gratitude and digital plenty, "download complete". My heart doth
poundeth with anticipation as the next phase is begun. Whence I struggle
to ignite the fiery beast called "X". Eight long and tiresome weeks I
toil and labor as I shun my other callings to best the stirring of
graphical desires. Huzzah! I quench my lustful longings for twm as the
first glimmerings of hope cast their boxed glow on my phosphored view.
An "X", that moves by magic mouse appears to taunt me, tease me, remind
me that yet another night and day must pass to acquire the downloaded
incantation that offer boxes and menus such as I long for. Lights
flicker, phone not ringing, for the beast must be quieted before peace
can be earned. Be still my dreams, for the time is near when framed
boxes will fill my vision and flood my soul with joy. My view darkens,
blinking its ominous death dance. Murky vision clears to a stipple.
Proud and center, the "X" awaits my pleasure. A furtive ring finger,
poised before the corded slave caresses the curve of rightmost button. A
click is made. A box appears! Lo, it has the magical writings of menus
from other worlds glowing brightly at my weary eyes. My heart leaps to
my throat as I jab at one with the corded forefinger of my right hand.
My hand must slip in my exited hast for the incantation I evoked was
"exit" and my view turned dark and flat again.