[ale] suggested kernel?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 19 08:42:34 EST 2002

Stephen Turner wrote:

> why would someone want to make a kernel with all devices drivers etc
> embeded in the kernel

If they wanted to make a kernel for a particular machine with
no dependency on the module system. Or if they wanted to make
a kernel that would boot on many different systems and recognize
certain hardware, without depending on the module system. Many
distro boot diskettes, for example, build as many CD and network
drivers as possible into the boot-floppy kernel, in order to
be prepared for whatever the user throws at them. You can
potentially put an entire boot-and-network-install setup on
a single floppy that way.

> and why would they want to put as much as
> possible into modules?

If they have the space available for the modules, and
they want to be able to use -any- hardware available on
whatever system the kernel is booted on. Many distros
that boot from CD do it this way: put the CD drivers
in the kernel, and then put all the other hardware
support in modules on the CD and let the user pick
what she wants.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"