[ale] VmWare question...

Josh Freeman josh.freeman at arch.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 18 08:57:24 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 07:56, Bob Evans wrote:
> Jeb
>
> You've got 2 ways to go with VMWare:
>
> 1. Run it under Linux. This allows you to set up
> Windows sessions within
> VMWare.
>
> 2. Run it under Windows(NT, 2000, or XP). Then you can
> have Linux running as
> a "guest" to Windows.
>
> I don't know of any Windows applications that can't
> run on scheme number 1,
> with the possible exception of some games.
>
> Anyone else know of VMWare limitations regarding
> Windows applications?

I don't think DirectX games or anything that requires the lastest video
cards and stuff will work. I've yet to get Deltaforce Landwarrior
running on it. Pretty much any office or productivity app seems  to
work, albiet a little slowly. You will get okay performance if you use a
virtual disk. If you can use a physical partition for windows, you
should get performance near native speeds.

Josh

--
Josh Freeman
Technical Manager