[ale] What logs [& their setup] are recommended......

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sun Feb 17 17:48:36 EST 2002

Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Greetings !
>
> Looking through /var/log I see many logs and attempting to read about
> some, even more are mentioned, including in other directories.
>
> What is commonly regarded as optimal logging ?
>
> Any caveats/recommendations regarding installation ?
>
> Thank you.

Hi Courtney,

   This is a can of worms.  It depends on what the machine is being used for, how critical it is, how tight security is, etc....

   Optimal logging: My definition, by default nothing should be written to the log file other than errors.  Of course, that is a generalization.  If I want statistics for my web server, I'm going to have to log usage, not just errors.  So, again, it depends on what you need out of it.  I like having informational items turned on during the installation/setup of a project, but I'm sure to turn those off for production.  Don't want /var to fill up too often with garbage.

   There are even different philosophies on where to log info.  Usual options are 1) to the syslog daemon; private log somewhere under 2) /var/log; 3) /var/opt/program_name/...; 4) /var/adm; 5) user's home dir; 6) /tmp 7) current directory 8) ....  Needless to say, it vary from app to app and from distro to distro.

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith