[ale] OT: Component Building

Greg runman at telocity.com
Fri Feb 15 17:14:15 EST 2002

	Well, first of all I don't think I understand the question. COM or COM+
(starting with MS 2000) is run only on Microsoft OS's. IT IS PROPRIETARY.
The lawsuit between MS and Sun stopped MS's poaching on Java.  I think that
there is a mod to run FrontPage extensions on Apache, but that's as far as
it goes.  MS has repeatedly stayed away from getting too close to any *nix,
saying that is is "viral" in nature, which it is.. the GPL would force MS to
give up source code (of course MS will steal anything else not nailed down
<cough> mozilla <cough> kerberos).  So the answer is I guess "nothing".

	If you are talking about multi-tiered stuff, then yes, Java does that, as
well as using CGI (ack spht) which would allow you to build (I guess you
could call them components) stuff in pick-a-language. Or are you talking
about CORBA perchance ?

Greg Canter