[ale] Problem with OpenSSH-2.9p2

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 08:01:31 EST 2002

Hi everyone,

A while ago I installed OpenSSH2.9 on all my Linux boxen.
Recently, having read of the vulnerabilities in the SSH 1
protocol, I disabled it, and now only allow SSH 2 connections.
Since that change, even though I have "Password" authentication
enabled, I cannot actually log in using my password; rather,
I must install my public key in the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2
file on the server and use RSA authentication. I invariably
receive a "permission denied" error when attempting to
log in via ssh using password authentication, even though
the SSH server log messages clearly indicate that password
authentication is enabled and being tried. OpenSSH -is-
linked with -lcrypt, as suggested in the OpenSSH FAQ.
Any advice?

(The server and client are running Slackware 8. Server
kernel is 2.4.5, client is 2.2.16.)

Thanks,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"