[ale] bout me company

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Feb 15 08:52:45 EST 2002

Irv Mullins wrote:

> I suppose this doesn't really matter.  In any larger company, success doesn't
> depend on what you know. Who you know, and what they *think* you
> know makes all the difference.

I guarantee you I am where I am because of my credentials.  And I'm with
a sizeable company, AT&T.

What you suggest just isn't true.  Although often times in a larger
company there are those who slide by hidden by the talk, they often get
caught.  I've seen it happen.  I spent a couple years on a promotional
technical review board, and there were quite a few folks who had a lot
of fluff on the resume' but they didn't get the promotion because they
couldn't back it up.  I also spent some time doing technical reviews of
contractors for positions we had available.  Again, they might get past
the HR folks and the manager, but a good technical interview will nail
them.  I can honestly say that 50% of the contractors we interviewed
stretched the truth, or out right lied on their resume'.  That probably
supports your statement, but the bottom line is, we didn't hire them.

Don't ever say 'In any...'  Nothing applies 100%.

> So if having nice certificates from these all-day donut fests will increase
> your chances of moving up the ladder until you reach a point where you can no
> longer do any actual damage, why not take advantage of them?  (As long as
> someone else is paying.)  Besides, your company probably has a fund set aside
> for training. If you don't use it, they'll just blow it on greens fees for
> the CEO.

Quite cynical.  Speaking from experience,  AT&T does have a separate
budget for training. but that's where it stays.  Not all companies are
Enron.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html